3-Ingredient Cheat's Pastries
Makes 3 ‘doughnuts’, 16 mini ‘croissants’ or 6 ‘eclairs’
1 sheet (400g) store-bought puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, beaten
½ cup Nutella Ferrero Chocolate Spread
Icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. On a floured surface, roll out the pastry sheet. Brush the sheet lightly with the beaten egg.
For the chocolate ‘doughnuts’:
3. Fold a third of the pastry over to the centre, fold the other third over to the centre so that you have 3 layers over one another.
4. Using a 7cm round cutter, cut out 3 circles. Using a 2cm cutter or shot glass cut out the centres of the circles to create the ‘doughnut’ shape. Place the 3 pastries onto the prepared baking tray, ensuring that they are evenly spaced apart.
5. Carefully press the edges together using your finger so that the 3 layers stick to one another. Place the 3 pastries onto the prepared tray.
For the chocolate ‘croissants’:
6. Cut the pastry in half; then cut each half into 4 rectangles, creating 8 rectangles.
7. Now cut each rectangle diagonally into 2 triangles, to create 16 triangles. Roll up each triangle starting from the wider end and place them on the tray with the tip of the croissant tucked in under the croissant. *Chef’s Tip: Bend in the edges slightly, creating the crescent shape.
For the chocolate ‘eclairs’:
8. Cut the pastry in thirds; then cut each third into 4 equal rectangles creating 12 rectangles. Place 2 rectangles over one another and carefully press the edges together using your finger. Place the 6 pastries onto the prepared tray, ensuring that they are evenly spaced apart.
9. Lightly brush the pastries with the remaining beaten egg and place the tray in the oven to bake for about 20-22 minutes or until golden and puffed. Transfer the pastries to a cooling rack and allow to cool.
10. Transfer the Nutella Ferrero Chocolate Spread into a piping bag with medium round nozzle. For the ‘eclairs’, pipe the Nutella onto each one in a zig-zag pattern. For the ‘croissants’, pipe the Nutella in from underneath the pastry and for the ‘doughnuts’, pipe the Nutella into the sides of the pastry. *Chefs Tip: Use the tip of the nozzle to create the holes in the doughnuts and croissants.
11. Dust the croissants and doughnuts with icing sugar and scatter fresh berries over the pastries. Serve the pastries immediately alongside a cup of tea and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍