4 A-maize-ing Sweet Snack Ideas
Chocolate Maize Cookies
Makes: 12 – 15
¾ cup nutty wheat flour
1 cup White Star Instant Maize Porridge Chocolate Flavour
¾ cup oats
1 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
2/3 – ¾ cup honey
8 tbsp butter
¾ cup dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 175. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
2. Add the nutty wheat flour and the White Star Instant Maize Porridge to a bowl.
3. Add the oats, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
4. With an electric beater, beat together the honey, softened butter and egg.
5. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients while beating and mix until the cookie dough comes together.
6. Fold in the chocolate chips.
7. Roll equal sized dough balls and place on the baking tray. Press down slightly using a fork.
8. Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes and allow to cool on the tray for one minute before transferring to a wire rack.
Blueberry Maize Muffins
1 cup nutty wheat flour
½ cup White Star Instant Maize Porridge Vanilla Flavour
½ cup oats
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 ¼ cups yogurt
1/3 cup honey
¼ cup butter, melted *optional
½ - ¾ cup frozen blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 180 and grease a muffin tray with 12 muffin holes.
2. Add the nutty wheat flour, the White star Instant, the oats, the baking powder, the baking soda and salt to a bowl and mix.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, eggs, honey and melted butter.
4. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, in three different batches to prevent overmixing.
5. Add the blueberries along with the last batch of dry ingredients and fold through until just blended.
6. Spoon the batter into the muffin tin holes and bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
7. Serve and ENJOY!!
Power Packed Strawberry Smoothie
¾ cup White Star Instant Maize Porridge Strawberry Flavour
½ cup frozen strawberries
½ a banana, frozen
½ cup full cream yogurt
1 tbsp honey
½ cup milk, of choice
3-5 ice cubes
1. Add all ingredients to a blender. (With more/less milk – depending on desired consistency.)
2. Blend until smooth.
3. Pour into two jars/glasses, garnish with fresh fruit of choice, serve immediately and ENJOY!!
Serves: 6 – 8
5– 6 large bananas, halved
1 cup White Star Instant Maize Porridge Original Flavour
1 cup self-raising flour
1 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp oil, of choice
2 ½ cups milk
3 - 4 cups oil, for frying
1/3 cup chocolate sauce
1/3 cup peanut butter, melted
Icing sugar, for dusting
1. Halve the bananas and insert a skewer into each one.
2. Freeze overnight.
3. Preheat oil in a large pot.
4. Add the White Star Instant Maize Porridge Original Flavour, flour & salt to a bowl.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, 1 tablespoon oil and milk.
6. Add the flour to the wet ingredients, in three different stages. Whisk well, making sure to remove any lumps.
7. Add the batter to a tall glass and dip the bananas into the batter, allow excess to drip off and deep fry.
8. Fry only a couple at a time to prevent the oil from cooling excessively, this will ensure a crispier finish.
9. Allow for 2-3 minutes a side until golden brown.
10. Remove and place on paper towel to drain.
11. Dust lightly with icing sugar, top some with a drizzle of peanut butter/a drizzle of chocolate sauce.
12. Serve immediately and ENJOY!!