Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Hands-off time: 1 hour 20 minutes
1 packet (500g) self-raising flour
1 tin (415g) cream style sweetcorn
1½ cups milk
2 blocks (200g) Président Plain Feta
½ cup cooked crispy bacon bits
Braaied chicken breast
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and generously grease a 21x11x6cm loaf tin.
2. Add the flour, sweetcorn and milk directly into the loaf tin. Fold the ingredients together until a smooth wet dough has formed. *Chef’s Tip: Avoid over mixing the dough as this will cause the bread to become more dense and chewy!
3. Pat the Président Plain Feta dry using paper towel and roughly crumble it into the dough along with the bacon bits. Fold the filling through the batter until well dispersed.
4. Spread the surface of the wet dough with the back of a spoon until smooth.
5. Bake for about 1 hour 20 minutes or until perfectly risen and golden brown. *Chef’s Tip: If the mieliebrood browns too quickly, cover with foil to avoid burning!
6. Once baked, allow the mieliebrood to cool in the tin for 5 minutes. Carefully run a knife along the sides of the mieliebrood and transfer to a wire-rack to cool for a further 15 minutes.
7. Slice and serve warm with a generous spread of butter. Add this as a perfect side to accompany your braaied protein and a fresh salad. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and ENJOY! *Chef’s Tip: This is the perfect braai-side for Heritage Month!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍
5-Ingredient Bacon & Feta Mieliebrood