Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Hands-off time: 15 minutes
2 rolls (400g each) puff pastry, thawed
1 tin (400g) Lucky Star Pilchards in Sweet Chilli Sauce
2 cups grated cheese
2 tbsp chopped parsley, plus extra for garnishing
2 tbsp butter, melted
Braaid whole mielies
Mixed salad, dressed
1. Prepare the braai for direct cooking over medium heat (180-230°C). Spray a large braai grid with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Unroll one of the puff pastry sheets directly onto the braai grid.
3. Remove the Lucky Star Pilchards in Sweet Chilli Sauce from the tin and set aside.
4. Lightly brush 1 tablespoon of the sweet chilli sauce from the tin over the base of the pastry, leaving a 1 cm border all around. Sprinkle 1 cup of grated cheese on top of the sauce.
5. Gently remove the bones from the Lucky Star Pilchards. Arrange the Lucky Star Pilchards on top of the cheese. *Chef’s Tip: Keep bones in if preferred!
6. Sprinkle chopped parsley on top and add the remaining cup of cheese.
7. Unroll the second layer of puff pastry over the top of the filling, ensuring the corners align. Tightly seal the edges with a fork.
8. Brush the top of the pie with melted butter and repeat on the underside once on the braai.
9. Braai the pie over medium coals, turning regularly, for 10-15 minutes or until the pastry is crispy and cooked through. *Chef’s Tip: Prepare a quick dipping sauce with the leftover sweet chilli sauce and some mayo!
10. Garnish the pie with chopped parsley and cut into portions. Serve with the dipping sauce on the side, some braaid mielies and a mixed salad and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍
5-Ingredient Cheesy Pilchard Grid Pie