Best Ever Crispy Chicken
Serves 4 – 5
For the Chicken:
500g chicken pieces
For the Marinade:
1 ½ - 2 cups buttermilk
1 tsp fresh garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
1 tbsp salt
For the Crispy Corn Flake Coating:
2 cups all-purpose flour
½-1 cup corn flour
1 cup Bokomo Corn Flakes
1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 cup milk
1-2 cups oil to shallow fry
For the Marinade:
1. Add the buttermilk, the garlic, the ginger and the salt to a large glass bowl and mix.
2. Make deep cuts/slits into each of the chicken pieces (to ensure that they soak up maximum flavor) and add to the bowl.
3. Allow to marinade for 3-5 hours or overnight for best result.
For the Corn Flake Chicken:
1. Add the flour, the corn flour, the corn flakes, the cayenne pepper, the paprika, the oregano, the garlic powder and the salt and pepper to separate bowl. (Stylist: Please crush the corn flakes by hand as you sprinkle them into the mixture to emphasise the crispiness/crunch of the product.)
2. Remove the chicken pieces from the buttermilk, allow excess to drip off and coat thoroughly in the flour mix.
3. Prepare a simple egg wash by mixing together two eggs and a cup of milk in a shallow bowl.
4. Dip the flour-coated chicken pieces into the egg wash mixture and return to the flour mixture to be coated a second time.
5. Heat some oil in a large pan on the stove-top (enough oil – to allow for shallow frying.)
6. Test to see if the oil is hot enough by: Adding the back of a wooden spoon to the oil. If it’s hot enough, it will bubble.
7. Add a couple of chicken pieces to the oil, reduce the heat and cook for 8-10 minutes. Flip the chicken pieces +/- every 2 minutes.
8. Once golden crust, bake in the oven for 15-20 mins at 160°C
9. Serve and ENJOY!