Bone Marrow and Split Pea Soup
1 cup IMBO split peas, soaked overnight
3 cups water
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp garlic, minced
Oil, for frying
500g meaty beef bones
1 turnip, grated
2 tomatoes, peeled and grated
1 cup celery, chopped
2 Knorrox stock cubes less salt, beef flavour
2 cups water, hot
Salt and pepper (Robertsons Spices)
6 Crusty bread rolls for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 180 and grease a baking tray.
2. In a saucepan, cook soaked split peas in 3 cups of water for an hour.
3. In a separate pot, fry onion and garlic until soft.
4. Add bones, turnip, tomatoes, celery and stock cubes to the onion pot. Top with hot water, stir gently and simmer for an hour.
5. Combine the peas with the boney broth and simmer for another 30 minutes, or until vegetables are thoroughly cooked and tender.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Cut the tops off the bread rolls and hollow them out.
8. Add the rolls onto a baking tray & toast in the oven for 5 minutes.
9. Spoon the soup into the bread bowls, top with some chopped chives and use the tops of the rolls for dunking.