Bread Crust Quiche
5 - 6 slices of Sasko Premium White Bread Slices
¼ cup butter, melted
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 cup cream
1 cup diced bacon
1 small chopped onion
3 cups baby spinach
1 ½ cups button mushrooms, chopped
1 ½ cups cheddar cheese, grated
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Use a rolling pin, flatten the bread slices.
3. Line the bottom and sides of a greased springform cake tin with the slices of bread. Be sure to press the slices together and make sure they overlap well
4. Combine the melted butter with the dried herbs.
5. Brush the herbed butter over the bread slices in the cake tin and bake for 10 minutes.
6. Heat oil in a large pan over high heat. Add bacon and cook until soft. Add mushroom and chopped onion and fry, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms have reduced in size and the onions have softened (about 5 minutes) and season with salt and pepper. Add spinach, let wilt and remove from the heat.
7. In a mixing bowl - whisk the eggs until combined and add the cream, cheese and parsley. Season to taste.
8. Remove the bread crust from the oven and allow to cool.
9. Spoon the filing mixture onto the bread base.
10. Pour the egg mixture gently over the layer of filling - making sure to spread the mixture evenly.
11. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
12. Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the centre comes out clean.
13. Let rest for 5 minutes, garnish with diced parsley, slice, serve and ENJOY!