Chakalaka 3 Ways
Cheesy Chakalaka Buns
1 tin KOO Chakalaka Hot & Spicy with Beans
1 pack store-bought bread dough
1 cup cheese, cut into 12 small blocks
3 tbsp fresh parsley. finely chopped
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic crushed
½ tsp salt
Yield: 12 buns
1. Divide the bread dough into 12 small balls.
2. On a floured surface, flatten each piece of dough and place 1 tbsp of KOO Chakalaka Hot & Spicy with Beans and a block of cheese at the centre of each piece of dough. Seal each of the small dough balls and arrange, seam down, into a baking dish.
3. For the herb butter: Melt the butter with the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
4. Add the garlic and 1 tbsp fresh parsley and salt and sauté for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and brush the top of the dough balls with the butter before baking.
5.Bake at 180°C for 20 minutes – 25 minutes until cooked through and golden.
6.Sprinkle the remaining fresh parsley over the top of the bun bake and ENJOY!
Biltong, Cheese & Chakalaka Muffins
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 large egg
1/3 cup sunflower oil
1 ½ cups milk or water
½ tin Koo Chakalaka Mild & Spicy
80g biltong dust
1 cup grated cheese
½ tub cream cheese
Biltong slices to serve
Yield: 12 standard or 6 large muffins
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a 6 hole giant muffin pan.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
3. Combine the egg, oil and milk or water together and mix lightly with the flour mixture.
4. Add the KOO Chakalaka Mild & Spicy and the biltong dust and mix well.
5. Fill each hole of the muffin pan to approximately half way.
6. Add 2 teaspoons of cream cheese to each muffin hole and cover with the remaining batter, so that the cream cheese is completely covered.
7. Sprinkle muffins with the cheese and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the muffins are done (a skewer inserted will come out clean).
8.Serve hot with a spread of butter, biltong shavings, grated cheese and ENJOY!
Super Meaty Chakalaka Sheet Pan Pie
1 tbsp sunflower oil, for frying
½ onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, finely sliced
1 large pack beef mince (about 750g)
1 sachet/2tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp Worcester sauce
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 cup prepared beef stock
2 sheets puff pastry
1 tin KOO Chakalaka with Sweetcorn
2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
1 egg beaten
Fresh parsley, to garnish
1. Fry the onion and garlic in the oil until soft and golden.
2. Add the mince and brown lightly.
3. Add the tomato paste, Worcester sauce, dried herbs, and stock and simmer for 20 minutes until the liquid has cooked almost completely away. Leaving it moist but not too saucy.
4. Meanwhile, spread out one sheet of puff pastry onto a baking sheet and top with a layer of KOO Chakalaka With Sweetcorn.
5. Spread a layer of mince onto the chakalaka base, then top with grated cheese and the remaining sheet of puff pastry. Seal the edges well using a fork.
6. Brush the top and the edges of the pie with the egg wash and score the surface of the pie a few times with a sharp knife - to help steam escape while baking.
7. Bake at 180°C for 20 minutes, until golden.
8. Garnish, slice, serve and ENJOY!