Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Hands-off time: 30 minutes
½ cup Spekko Royal Umbrella Jasmine Long Grain White Rice
200g cooked boerewors
¼ tin (103g) chakalaka
¼ tin (103g) sweetcorn
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
¾ cup self-raising flour
2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
1. Prepare a baking tray with a sheet of baking paper.
2. In a small pot, add 1 cup of cold salted water and the Spekko Royal Umbrella Jasmine Long Grain White Rice. Bring the rice up to a simmer, covered, stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes until the water has been fully absorbed. Allow the rice to cool and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the chilled rice, cooked boerewors pieces, chakalaka, sweet corn, cheese and flour. *Chef’s Tip: This recipe is perfect for utilising leftover rice!
4. Carefully shape the mixture into 15cm long logs. carefully cut each log into three pieces, 5cm each, and place the rice rolls on the prepared baking tray. *Chef’s Tip: If the mixture is sticky, lightly flour your hands to shape the rice rolls!
5. Place the baking tray into the freezer for 30 minutes to firm up the rice rolls. *Chef’s Tip: Make an extra batch to freeze and store for another occasion!
6. Heat the oil in a small shallow pan. Add the rice rolls to the hot oil in batches of 5 and fry for 5 minutes, turning occasionally until golden brown and crispy.
7. Once fried, allow the crispy rice rolls to drain on a paper towel before transferring to a serving platter.
8. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander, serve with your favourite chutney and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍
Chakalaka Boerewors Rice Rolls