4 cups of water
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter
3 cups White Star Super maize meal
1 cup chakalaka
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup flour
Oil, for frying
1. Pour the water into a large pot, add the salt and butter and bring to the boil.
2. Slowly pour 3 cups maize meal into the pot to form a cone in the centre but don’t stir. Cover with the lid, reduce the heat to low and allow the pap to simmer for 40 minutes.
3. Once cooked, set the pap aside and allow it to cool completely.
4. Form the pap into a stick shape, flatten the pap out and place a teaspoon of chakalaka in the center with grated cheese. Close the pap over and press the stick closed.
5. Repeat the process with all of the pap.
6. Dip each maize meal stick in flour, egg and maize meal. Repeat the process again before frying the sticks in oil until golden and crispy.
7. Serve with chakalaka & chutney for dipping and ENJOY!