For the meringues:
3 egg whites, at room temperature
¼ tsp cream of tartar
¾ cup castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
4 tbsp NESTLÉ Cocoa Powder
For the chocolate ganache filling:
½ cup cream
1 cup chopped NESTLÉ Aero Dark Chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 90°C and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
2. Divide 3 eggs and pour the egg white to a bowl. *Chefs Tip: Use a plastic bottle to suck up the egg yolks, then store in the fridge for up to 3 days to make rich scrambled egg or custard!
2. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until frothy. Add the cream of tartar. *Chefs Tip: This helps stabilise your meringue.
3. Gradually add the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat until the egg whites are stiff and shiny, the sugar is properly incorporated and the mixture makes stiff peaks.
4. Add the vanilla essence and sieve in NESTLÉ Cocoa Powder, then beat on low-speed until incorporated.
5. Spoon the meringue mixture into a piping bag fitted with a large round nozzle.
6. Place the attached macaron template underneath the baking paper and pipe small meringue discs into the circles. Remove the template before baking.
7. Bake in the oven for 2 hours before switching the oven off and allowing the meringue discs to dry out for a further 2 hours.
8. Make the chocolate ganache filling by warming the cream in the microwave until just before boiling. Stir in the chopped chocolate until melted and smooth.
9. Place ganache in the fridge for 15 minutes to cool and thicken.
10. Remove the ganache from the fridge and stir to soften if necessary. Using a teaspoon, spoon a small amount onto the bottom of a meringue disc and sandwich with another meringue disc. Repeat with remaining meringues and ganache filling. Serve at teatime and ENJOY!