Cheesy Bread(fast) Bake
For the white cheese sauce:
¾ cup butter, cubed
1/3 cup cake flour
2 ½ cups milk
Salt & pepper to taste
Pinch of nutmeg (optional)
2 cups grated white cheddar
For the bread(fast)bake:
12 slices bread, white sandwich bread
3 tablespoons butter, softened
4 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
1 onion, diced & fried
2 cups fried mushrooms
2 Tomatoes, sliced
1 ½ cups chopped crispy bacon, fried
Avocado slices, to serve
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Switch on the grill in the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. On a cutting board, butter all the bread slices and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
3. Using a shaped cutter, cut out the centres of 6 slices of bread for the top layer in the bake.
4. Toast the bread in batches under the grill for 5 minutes, or until toasted. Keep a close eye on it so it doesn't burn.
5. Reduce the oven temperature to 180˚C.
6. Make the cheese sauce: Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until it darkens slightly.
7. Gradually, whisk in the milk. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the salt, pepper and nutmeg. Remove the sauce from the heat; stir in the white cheddar cheese.
8. Grease a baking dish well and lay 6 pieces of toast in the bottom of the dish. Top with grated cheese, a layer of onions, mushroom, crispy bacon & tomato (ensure this mixture and cheese overlap between the toast slices to create one bake). Top with the hollow-centred toast.
9. Crack an egg into each hole. Carefully ladle the cheese sauce over the bake, leaving the yolks exposed.
10. Cover and bake for 15 minutes, then uncover and bake for another 10 minutes more, until the eggs are cooked to your liking and the sauce is starting to brown in spots.
11.Slice and serve with fresh avocado slices, salt and pepper and Enjoy!