Cheesy Carbonara Rice Ring
For the rice:
2 cups Spekko Royal Umbrella Jasmine rice
4 cups water
Pinch of salt
For the rice ring:
2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
1 cup sautéed diced onions
1 ½ cups crispy bacon bits (¼ cup to be used as garnish)
1 cup cooked (frozen) peas
Salt and pepper to taste
For the Cheese Sauce:
3 tbsp butter
¼ cup flour
2 ½ cups milk
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Salt, to taste
½ cup crispy bacon
1 tbsp cup chopped chives
Preheat the oven to 180℃ and grease a bundt tin well. Dust the greased bundt tin with a layer of breadcrumbs if you have available. (A loaf tin will work just as well here)
For the Rice
1. In a medium pot, add the Spekko Jasmine Rice to 4 cups of salted water. Bring to the boil, cover leaving a slight opening & reduce the heat to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 15 – 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the rice to sit covered for a further 5 - 10 minutes to steam. Allow to cool.
For the rice ring
1.In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the rice to this mixture and mix until well coated. Add the grated mozzarella and stir into the mixture.
2. Mix through the sautéed onions, 1 cup of crispy bacon bits and the peas. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
3. Spoon and press this mixture into the bunt tin firmly, in stages and cover with foil.
4. Bake the rice ring for 35 minutes, remove the foil and bake another 10 - 15 minutes until golden brown and crispy around the edges.
5. Allow to cool slightly in the bunt tin, 10 minutes.
For the Cheese Sauce
1. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until a paste is formed.
2. Gradually, whisk in the warm milk. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until thickened & smooth. Remove the sauce from the heat; stir in the cheddar cheese until melted. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
1. Carefully, tip out the rice ring onto a large round platter. Pour ½ the cheese sauce over the rice ring, sprinkle over the bacon bits and chopped chives. Slice and serve the rice ring with a side salad & the leftover sauce.