Hand on-time: 30 minutes
Hands off-time: 20 minutes
1 tbsp vegetable oil
½ onion, diced
4 (530g) chicken breasts, cubed
3 tbsp Hinds Spices Chicken Spice
½ cup frozen peas
1½ cups grated mozzarella cheese
3 cups self-raising flour
1½ cups plain yoghurt
1. Prepare the braai for direct cooking over medium-high heat (180-200°C) and brush the cooking grates clean. *Chef’s Tip: Alternatively, air fry the roosterkoek!
2. Place a braai-safe pan on the cooking grates and bring the pan up to a medium-high heat. Add the oil, onion, chicken and Hinds Spices Chicken Spice and sauté for 3-5 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked and lightly browned. Add the peas to the filling and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Set aside the filling until needed. *Chef’s Tip: Alternatively, make the filling on the stovetop!
3. Make the dough by combining the flour and yoghurt in a mixing bowl. Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured counter and knead for 5 minutes until a smooth dough ball has formed.
4. Divide the dough into 8 evenly shaped balls. Using a floured rolling pin, flatten the balls into 12cm discs.
5. Carefully fill each disk with about 2 tablespoons of the chicken filling and add grated cheese and enclose each disk to form stuffed dough pockets.
6. Place the dough pockets on the prepared braai (medium heat) and grill for about 5 minutes on each side until the dough is cooked and slightly charred.
7. Serve immediately with your favourite braai sides and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍
Cheesy Chicken Stuffed Roosterkoek