For the lentil balls:
2 cups IMBO lentils
1 cup oats
½ cup fresh parsley leaves
50g tomato paste
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
For the mashed potato cups:
8-10 small potatoes, boiled
½ cup milk
4 tbsp butter
½ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
¼ cup flour
Salt & pepper
1 cup cheddar cheese
For the caramelised onions:
1 onion, sliced into rings
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Olive oil for frying
1. Rinse the lentils thoroughly under running water. Transfer the rinsed lentils to a saucepan with 2 cups of water. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until tender. Drain the lentils once cooked.
2. Add the oats to the food processor and process until powdery.
3. Add parsley leaves, lentils, tomato paste, garlic, dried basil, dried oregano and salt and process until well mixed.
4. Form into small balls. Brush with olive oil and set aside. (15 min baking time)
5. Heat oil in a large frying pan over low heat. Add the onions, a pinch of salt and the balsamic vinegar and cook very slowly for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent them from catching, until sticky & caramelised. Set aside.
6. In a large bowl, combine mashed cooked potatoes, milk, butter, mozzarella cheese, egg, flour, salt & pepper.
7. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan very well and divide the mashed potatoes evenly into each cup.
8. Make a hole in the centre of each mashed potato cup, pressing all the way up the sides.
9. Bake the mashed potato cups at 180ºC for 15 minutes, remove from the oven & place a lentil ball into the centre of each cup topped with caramelised onion & cheddar cheese. Continue to bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until outside is crispy and brown.
10. Serve with a green salad and ENJOY!