Cheesy Spinach & Mushroom Wellington
For the filling:
½ cup IMBO Whole Brown Lentils, rinsed and drained
1 onion, chopped
1 punnet (250g) mushrooms, sliced
400g baby spinach, washed
½ tsp each salt and pepper, to season
1 tbsp butter
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1½ sheets (600g) store-bought puff pastry, thawed
⅓ tub (175g) plain cream cheese
1 egg, beaten
Chopped parsley, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
For the filling:
2. Pour the IMBO Whole Brown Lentils into a medium pot along with 2 cups of cold water and bring it to the boil. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 30-35 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, in an oiled pan over medium-high heat, sauté ½ of the chopped onion until soft and translucent. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes, ensuring there is no liquid left in the pan. Add the spinach to the mushrooms and allow to wilt. Season to taste with a ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
4. Add the butter to a pan over medium-high heat and sauté the remaining chopped onions until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add in the ground cumin and toast the spice for 30 seconds, before pouring in the cooked lentils. Stir to combine, season with the reserved salt and pepper and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Roll 1 sheet of puff pastry out onto the lined baking tray. Leaving a 2cm border around the edges. Spread the cream cheese on the right (stopping just before the middle), while avoiding the border. Layer with the mushroom-spinach mixture and top with the cooked lentils.
6. Moisten the 2cm border with water, dabbing with a wet finger, and bring the empty, left pastry half over to the right side, using a fork to seal the edges.
7. Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut hearts from the remaining pastry sheet and brush both the hearts and filled pastry with the egg. Top the pastry with the hearts and bake the wellington for 25-30minutes until golden and crisp.
8. Scatter chopped parsley over the wellington, serve with gravy and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍