1 cup IMBO kidney beans
1 cup IMBO red speckled beans
5 tortillas - large
2 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, diced
1 tin crushed tomatoes
1 jalapeño pepper, minced
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder
Salt & pepper to taste
2 cups sweet corn
4 spring onions, sliced
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
1. Pour roughly 1 cup kidney beans & 1 cup red speckled beans into a pot, cover with water and boil for 5 minutes. Switch off the heat and allow the beans to soak for an hour in the boiling water.
2. Drain the beans and refill the pot before bringing to the boil and cooking until soft. About 40 – 50minutes. Drain the beans once cooked & set aside. (store any left-over beans in the fridge/freezer for easy meal prep)
3. Preheat oven to 200°C.
4. For the filling, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the remaining onion and cook for about 5 minutes.
5. Add the jalapeño, 2/3 of the garlic, and ½ teaspoon cumin. Season with salt and pepper, and cook for an additional minute. Add the cooked & drained beans, sweet corn and spring onions. Remove from the heat and set aside.
6. For the sauce, heat olive oil and sauté half of the chopped onion for about 5 minutes, until it begins to turn translucent. Add the rest of the garlic, all of the chili powder, and 1 ½ teaspoons of the cumin and cook for an additional minute. Add the crushed tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside.
7. In a greased spring form cake tin, place a tortilla in the base of the tin (If your tortillas are too big, trim them to size) then spoon a ¼ cup of the tomato sauce over the top. Spread it to the edges with the back of a spoon.
8. Top with ½ cup of the bean mixture. Then sprinkle with about a ½ cup of grated cheese.
9. Repeat the layers of tortilla, tomato sauce, bean mixture, and cheese until your tin is full.
10. After the last tortilla is stacked, pour over the remaining tomato sauce and the remaining cheese.
11. Place the spring form pan on top of a baking pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes.
12. Carefully run a knife along the sides of the pan before you remove the sides.
13. Garnish the pie with chopped avo, chopped tomato, fresh chopped coriander, & a dollop of sour cream.
14. Slice & ENJOY!