The Creamiest Chicken à la King
For the Chicken A La King:
4 chicken breasts
2 tbsp butter
½ onion, chopped
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup diced red pepper
3 tbsp cake flour
½ cup NESTLÉ Cremora
1 ½ cups water
2 cups prepared chicken stock
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 cup frozen peas
fresh parsley to garnish
For the Rice:
1 ½ cups parboiled rice
For the Chicken a la king:
1. In a large frying pan, on a medium heat, brown the chicken pieces in a little oil, in batches. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Fry the onion and mushrooms in the butter until soft, 5 minutes. Add the red pepper and fry 2 – 3 more minutes.
3. Sprinkle in the flour and stir until well combined with the butter.
4. Combine the NESTLÉ Cremora with the water, mix well and add to the frying pan.
5. Add the stock and chicken. Allow to simmer while stirring every couple minutes. The sauce should thicken nicely and the chicken should cook through within 15 – 20 minutes.
6. Adjust the seasoning, to taste, and add the frozen peas. Simmer for another 5 more minutes until the peas are tender.
For the Rice:
1. Follow pack instructions and cook the rice to be ready at the same time as the chicken a la king.
2. Serve the chicken a la king over the rice and garnish with chopped parsley.
3. Serve and ENJOY!
*Chef’s tip: Add two teaspoons of sherry along with the stock to bump up the flavour.