1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp butter
1 large onion
4 cloves garlic
3 cups leeks
3 cups mushrooms
1/3 cup flour
3 cups stock
2 cups shredded chicken
Salt & pepper
For the crust:
1 large egg
3/4 cup milk
2 tbsp canola oil
3/4 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup White Star Super Maize Meal
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Grease a large baking dish.
3. In a large sauce pan, heat olive oil and unsalted butter together.
4. Add onion, garlic, mushrooms and leeks, and cook until tender, about 5 - 10 minutes. Add in flour until blended.
5. Slowly stir in 2 cups of heated chicken stock, whisking well.
6. Cook mixture over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, about 4 minutes.
7. Stir in the shredded chicken and season with salt & pepper.
8. Pour the mixture into the baking dish and set aside.
9. In a bowl, stir maize meal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
10. Mix milk, egg and canola oil until well combined in a separate bowl.
11. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until mixed well
12. Spoon the batter evenly over the chicken pie filling.
13. Bake until the top is golden brown, about 22 to 25 minutes, serve and ENJOY!