Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Hands-off time: 30 minutes
½ packet (250g) self-raising flour
¾ cup milk
½ tin (205g) cream style sweetcorn
2 tbsp TABASCO® Sauce or TABASCO® Jalapeño Sauce
½ red bell pepper or green bell pepper, diced
1 cup grated cheddar cheese, plus 12 cubed pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and generously grease a 12-hole muffin tray.
2. In a large mixing bowl, sieve the flour and add the milk, sweetcorn, and the TABASCO® Sauce or TABASCO® Jalapeño Sauce until a smooth batter has formed. Stir in the diced red or green bell pepper, depending on which TABASCO® Sauce is used, until fully incorporated.
3. Divide half of the batter between the muffin tray holes, using a large spoon or ice cream scoop. Add the cubed cheese to the centre of each muffin hole and top with the remaining batter. *Chef’s Tip: Ensure the cheese is well covered.
4. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the batter and bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown and the muffins pull away from the sides of the muffin holes.
5. Once baked, allow the mieliebrood muffins to cool slightly for about 5 minutes.
6. Serve warm as a braai-side, tea-time treat or simply pack it in a lunchbox as the perfect prep-ahead snack and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍
Chilli Cheese Mieliebrood Muffins