Coffee Crème Brûlée Bites
Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Hands-off time: 4 hours
2 packet (125g each) vanilla sandwich biscuits
3 tbsp (45g) margarine, melted
3 tbsp NESCAFÉ Classic Original
3 cups low fat milk
4 large eggs
½ cup (64g) corn flour
5 tbsp (70g) castor sugar
*Microwave cooking times may vary due to wattage; use the timings below as a guide.
1. Grease a deep square baking dish (20cm) with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Place the sandwich biscuits in a resealable plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. Place the biscuit crumbs in a medium bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Add 2 tablespoons of water and stir. *Chef’s Tip: Add a splash more water if mixture is too dry!
3. Press the biscuit mixture into the base of the prepared dish and allow it to set in the fridge for
15 minutes while preparing the custard.
4. In a large microwave-safe bowl, whisk the NESCAFÉ Classic Original, margarine, milk, 1 cup of
warm water, eggs and cornflour. Reserve 1 tablespoon of sugar and add the rest to the mixture. Whisk until combined. *Chef’s Tip: Add more coffee if you prefer a stronger flavour!
5. Microwave the custard mixture on high for 7 minutes. Whisk. Microwave for a further 7-8
minutes, whisking every 2 minutes until smooth. *Chef’s Tip: For testing we used a 700W microwave.
6. Remove the baking dish from the fridge and pour the custard mixture on top. Smooth out the
top with a spoon. Allow the custard to cool for 15 minutes at room temperature and then refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight until firm.
7. Once set, cut the tart into 25 squares. Transfer the squares to a wire rack.
8. Sprinkle the remaining sugar evenly over each square. Brûlée the sugar by carefully heating a metal spoon over an open flame and press down over the sugar coating. The sugar will melt, crisp up and turn a golden colour. *Chef’s Tip : Use a blowtorch, if preferred!
9. Arrange the bites on a platter, garnish with fresh berries and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍