1 tin condensed milk
400ml water (use condensed milk)
350ml Rooibos Laager tea
1 tbsp butter
2 sticks cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla essence
4 eggs, separated
A little water for mixing
1 x 400 g packet spring roll wrappers
1 egg white (to use as glue)
Oil for deep frying
1. Place 2 teabags into a 350ml of boiling water and allow to steep.
2. Slowly bring condensed milk, water, rooibos tea, cinnamon sticks, vanilla essence and butter to the boil while stirring.
3. In a separate bowl mix the following making sure there are no lumps; 4 egg yolks, cornflour and a little water.
4. When milk mixture is almost boiling, first add a little of the hot milk to the egg mixture and then stir while adding all the of the egg mixture to the rest of the milk mixture on the stove.
5. Beat egg whites to white peak stage and gently fold into custard. Allow the mixture to cool down.
6. For the spring rolls, place a wrapper on a flat surface and with a pastry brush, brush all 4 sides with egg white. Place a heaped teaspoon of the milk tart mixture on the wrapper at the end nearest to you, fold in the sides and roll up like a cigar.
7. Constantly wet your finger with the egg white and make sure there are no leaking holes for the custard to run out whilst frying.
8. Heat the oil and fry the spring rolls, five at a time and when golden brown, remove from the oil and immediately roll in cinnamon sugar.
9. Serve and ENJOY!