Crunchy Cheesecake French Toast
1 loaf of white bread, not sliced
½ cup cream cheese
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 ½ tsp lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1 ½ cups diced strawberries
¾ cup heavy cream
½ cup milk
½ tsp cinnamon
2 cups Nature’s Source Granola
3 to 4 tbsp oil, for frying
Honey, to serve
Cream, to serve
Yield: 4 – 5 French Toast pockets
1. Cut the loaf into very thick slices, about 4cm thick.
2. Using a sharp knife cut a wide pocket into each slice of bread without cutting all the way through the bread.
3. Beat together the cream cheese, vanilla essence, lemon juice and lemon zest until well combined and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add ½ cup diced strawberries to the whipped cream and stir them through the cream.
4. Spoon a portion of the cream cheese mixture inside each bread pocket and press each bread pocket closed.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and cinnamon.
6. Dip bread slices into egg mixture then into the granola to coat evenly on both sides.
7. Place 2 slices into the pan; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until deep golden brown.
8. Turn and cook 2 to 3 minutes longer on the other side. Repeat with remaining bread slices, adding oil as needed.
9. Cut diagonally and serve in a stack, topped with a dollop of cream, the remaining fresh strawberries and a generous drizzle of honey. ENJOY!