1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
¼ tsp each salt and pepper
1 cup White Star Quick Super Maize Meal
1 tbsp sugar
1 cup milk
600g boerewors, cut into 8 pieces (10cm each)
Oil, for frying
Fresh coriander sprigs
Chakalaka, to dip
1. Into a large mixing bowl, sieve together the self-raising flour, salt and pepper. Add the White Star Quick Super Maize Meal and sugar and whisk to combine.
2.In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and oil and combine it with the dry ingredients to create a smooth batter. Pour the batter into a tall glass and set aside. *Chef’s Tip: Using a tall glass allows for easy dipping!
3. Heat an oiled pan over medium heat. Stick a skewer into each boerewors piece, from one end to the other, fry until the sides are golden and cover the pot to ensure that the boerewors are cooked through, about 8-10 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool.
4.Heat 6cm oil in a pot for deep-frying. *Chef’s Tip: Test for readiness by placing the back of a wooden spoon into the heated oil; if it bubbles around the spoon, it is ready.
5. Dip the boerewors skewers into the batter, allowing the excess batter to drip off.
6. Dip the battered boerewors into the hot oil and fry until golden brown on all sides, for approximately 5-6 minutes. Remove the boerewors from the oil and place on a plate lined with paper towel to drain the excess oil. Fry 2 at a time.
7. Serve on a dinner plate with a generous sprinkle of fresh coriander sprigs and a saucy chakalaka dip and ENJOY!