Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Hands-off time: 20 minutes
1 cup White Star Quick Super Maize Meal, plus extra for dusting
¾ cup self-raising flour
130g cold butter
½ cup grated cheddar cheese
1 medium egg
¼ cup full cream amasi
½ tsp salt
½ cup pre-cooked boerewors, chopped
Fresh coriander, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper and lightly dust with White Star Quick Super Maize Meal.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the cup of White Star Quick Super Maize Meal and flour and grate in the cold butter. Rub the butter into the flour using your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
3. Make a well in the centre of the mixture and add the grated cheese, egg, amasi and chopped boerewors to the mixture. Using a wooden spoon, stir until just incorporated and a dough has formed.
4. Tip the scone dough out onto a floured counter and flatten using a round sturdy bottle or rolling pin, until about 2 cm thick.
5. Dip the rim of a glass or cookie cutter into the maize meal before cutting 12 evenly-sized scones.
6. Arrange the scones onto the lined baking tray and bake for just 12-15 minutes.
7. Allow to cool on a cooling rack for 5 minutes before serving with a generous spread of butter and a sprinkling of coriander and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍
Easy Cheesy Boerie Scones