6 Granny Smith apples
1 cup Ceres Apple fruit juice (add more juice as needed)
3 tbsp sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
1 packet of puff pastry
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp brown sugar
Ice cream for serving
1. Cut off the top of 4 apples.
2. Remove the inside of each apple with a spoon or fruit baller very carefully, as to not puncture the peel.
3. Peel and cut the two extra apples into pieces. Add all of the apple pieces (without the seeds) to a saucepan with Ceres Apple fruit juice, sugar and cinnamon.
4. Bring to the boil & allow to simmer until sticky & caramelised.
5. Scoop the caramelized apple mixture into hollow apples.
6. Roll out puff pastry with flour and slice into strips.
7. Cover the top of the apples in a lattice pattern with puff pastry strips.
8. Brush the puff pastry strips with an egg wash mixture & a sprinkling of brown sugar.
9. Add a dash of water to the bottom of the baking pan, just enough to cover the bottom (this will prevent the apples from drying out while baking)
10. Place the apple pies in the baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes at 180°C.
11. Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until crust is golden brown and the apples are soft.
12. Slice open, serve with a dollop of ice cream and a drizzle of maple syrup and ENJOY!