2 cups cake flour
2 tsp Royal Baking Powder
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp salt
1 cup dried fruit mix
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup (225g) butter, melted and cooled
2 cups buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a bread loaf tin (21.5x11.5cm) with grease spray
2. Line a baking sheet with baking paper and set aside.In a bowl sift together the cake flour, Royal Baking Powder, cinnamon and salt.
3. Mix in the dried fruit mix.In a separate bowl, whisk together the light brown sugar, butter, buttermilk and eggs.
4. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix together to create a batter.
5. Pour the batter into the bread loaf tin and bake for about 50-60 minutes, or until golden on top and skewer comes out clean. *Chef’s Tip: When the batter pulls away from the sides of the pan, it is ready.
6. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before turning it out of the tin and letting it cool to room temperature. Slice the cake into rusk-sized portions.
7. Arrange the rusks on the lined baking sheet with spaces between them to allow for air circulation. *Chef’s tip: Place the rusks on a cooling rack over a baking tray to create airflow while saving space.
8. Dry the rusks out in a 100°C oven for 4-5 hours, with the door slightly ajar, turning the rusks frequently. Cool completely before storing in an airtight container. *Chef’s Tip: Wedge a wooden spoon between the oven and oven door to help keep it slightly open.
9. Serve these festive rusks with a cup of coffee and ENJOY!