Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Hands-off time: 20 minutes
1 tbsp oil
1 large onion, diced
2 tsp mild curry powder
2 tins (400g each) Lucky Star Pilchards in Tomato Sauce
1 tin (410g) chopped tomatoes
2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 tsp salt
2 cups baby spinach
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
2. Add the diced onion and fry for 2 minutes until soft and translucent.
3. Add the curry powder and fry for a further 1 minute.
4. Remove the Lucky Star Pilchards in Tomato Sauce from the tin and set aside.
5. Add the tomato sauce from the Lucky Star tins to the onion mixture, along with ¾ tin of water, the tin of chopped tomatoes, cubed potatoes and salt. Stir and simmer for 12-15 minutes until the curry sauce thickens and the potatoes are tender.
6. While the sauce thickens, gently remove the bones from the Lucky Star Pilchards. *Chef’s Tip: Keep bones in if preferred!
7. Add the deboned pilchards and baby spinach to the sauce and gently stir the curry without breaking up the pilchards too much. Cook for 1-2 minutes to warm the pilchards and wilt the spinach.
8. Top the curry with a dollop of yoghurt and scatter some coriander on top. Serve with brown rice and ENJOY! *Chef’s Tip: Serve with your favourite sambals!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍
Fish Curry In A Hurry