Full House Steak Gatsby
Serves: 4 – 6
For the McCain Slap Chips
3 cups oil, for frying
¾ bag (750g) McCain Slap Chips
Chip spice, to taste
For the Signature Basting Sauce
2 tbsp honey
2 clove garlic, finely grated
1 tsp peri-peri spice mix
2 cups beef stock (½ stock cube to 2 cups water)
4 tbsp BBQ sauce
For the Gatsby
2 onions, sliced
500g beef minute steak, sliced into strips (0,5cm thick)
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 large Gatsby roll, available at various bakeries
1 head of baby cos lettuce, shredded
3-4 eggs, fresh
1. Preheat the oil in a large pot.
2. Cook the McCain Slap Chips in the hot oil for 5 minutes. Place the chips into a bowl.
3. Add salt and the chip spice and toss well. Cover the bowl for 2-5 minutes until the chips are perfectly ‘slap’.
4. Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small pot and bring to a boil.
5. Simmer until reduced/slightly and thickened.
6. In a hot oiled pan, fry the sliced onion until just cooked & golden. Add ½ the basting sauce.
7. Season the steak with salt & pepper.
8. In a hot oiled pan, fry the steak strips until just cooked. Add the basting sauce over the steak and simmer until heated through, 1 minute.
9. Clean & dry your work surface properly as a plate most certainly won’t allow to fit this whole roll!
10. Place the Gatsby roll onto your work surface & slice open.
11. On one side of the roll, lay down the lettuce to cover.
12. Slice the tomato thinly and place the slices over the lettuce.
13. Add the cooked McCain Slap Chips and then the basted rump steak. Top with cheese slices
14. In a medium warm oiled pan, fry the eggs until medium hard and season to taste.
15. Add the fried eggs to the Gatsby. Finish off with the top of the Gatsby roll.
For extra indulgence top with either mayonnaise, tomato sauce and/or mustard and ENJOY!!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook 👉 https://www.facebook.com/groups/301933683643677/