Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Hands-off time: 20 minutes
1 pack (330g) SPAR Steak Co. Lean Rump
½ tsp each salt and pepper, to season
¼ cup store-bought barbeque sauce
1 loaf SPAR Freshline French Baguette
4 tsp crushed garlic
¼ cup (56g) butter, softened
¼ cup chopped parsley, plus extra for garnish
*Microwave cooking times may vary due to wattage; use the timings below as a guide.
1. Prepare the braai for direct cooking over high heat (200°C) and brush the cooking grates clean. *Chef’s Tip: Alternatively, sear the steak in a pan on the stove!
2. Season the SPAR Steak Co. Lean Rump generously with salt and pepper.
3. Braai the steaks for 3-4 minutes per side until medium-rare and charred.
4. Transfer the steaks to a meat board and generously baste with barbeque sauce. Set aside to rest while preparing the baguette. *Chef’s Tip: It is important that the steaks rest for about 5 minutes before slicing to avoid the steam overcooking them.
5. Slice the SPAR Freshline French Baguette in half, widthways. With a small knife, carefully hollow out the baguette by removing the soft crumb on the inside. *Chef’s Tip: Keep the inside crumb to make Foodies of SA breadcrumbs!
6. . In mixing bowl, combine the butter, garlic and parsley. Carefully spread half of the garlic butter on the inside of the hollowed out baguette.
7. Once the steak has rested for about 5 minutes, slice them lengthways, about 4cm thick. Stuff the sliced bbq basted steaks into the hollowed out baguette and place it on a piece of foil.
8. Generously spread the remaining garlic butter over the baguette halves, before carefully wrapping the baguette halves tightly in foil.
9. Braai the stuffed baguettes over medium heat coals for 8-10 minutes, turning halfway until the bread is golden brown and toasted.
10. Transfer to a cutting board and discard the foil. Allow the steak ‘Wellington’ to rest for 5 minutes. Once rested, slice into 4cm thick disks.
11. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley. Serve with a seasonal salad and braaied corn and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍
Garlic Bread Steak 'Wellington'