1kg of store-bought bread dough
120g butter, softened
4 tbsp Bovril
200g grated cheese
1 egg, for the egg wash
1. Roll the dough out into a long rectangle (as thin as the dough will allow; roughly 30cm x 50cm.)
2. Mix the Bovril and butter together in a mixing bowl and set aside.
3. Top the pastry with the Bovril/butter mix and spread.
4. Top with an even layer of grated cheese.
5. Gently press the cheese down to ‘secure it’ to the dough.
6. Using a knife or a pizza cutter, cut the dough into 2,5cm wide strips.
7. Roll the first piece into a ‘wheel’/giant coil.
8. Join it to the next strip and roll it up against the other strips, continuing on where the last piece of dough left off until you've used up all the dough.
9. Spray a 24cm pie/quiche tin with non-stick spray.
10. Place the bread roll on the greased tin and allow to rise in a warm place for 30-45 minutes.
11. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
12. Whisk the egg and add a teaspoon of water if it is too thick. Brush the top of the risen roll with the egg wash and then bake in the oven for 20 minutes. ** If it is getting too brown, cover with foil (sprayed with oil) so that it doesn't stick to the bread roll. You don't want it burning or getting too brown as the cheese gets dry and crunchy.
13. Bake for another 10 minutes and then remove from oven.
14. Slice and top with a dollop of cream cheese and some chives… And ENJOY!