1 tbsp unsalted butter
¾ cup onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
½ tsp chilli flakes
¾ cup vegetable stock
3 ½ cups fresh broccoli florets, cut into pieces
1 cup Spekko Saman brown rice
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp black pepper
Salt to taste
¾ cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 egg, lightly beaten
Sliced spring onions (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
3. Melt butter in a large pan over a medium-high. Add onion and garlic and chilli flakes; sauté for 4 minutes. Add stock and broccoli. Bring to a boil; cook for 3 minutes.
4. Add 1 cup of brown rice to a bowl of 1,5 – 2 cups of salted water. Bring to the boil, cover & reduce the heat to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 20 – 25 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the rice to sit covered for a further 10 – 15 minutes until you can fluff the rice with a fork.
5. Combine broccoli mixture, cooked brown rice, mustard, pepper, salt, and ½ cup cheese in a large bowl. Stir in egg.
6. Divide and shape into 8 patties.
7. Arrange patties on a prepared pan and brush lightly with oil.
8. Bake for 15 minutes. Top with remaining ¼ cup cheese, and bake for 2-3 more minutes or until cheese melts.
9. Garnish with spring onion slices and a few chilli flakes & serve with a side garden salad.
Yield: 8 patties