Gluten-Free Avo Burgers
For the sweet potato rice patties:
1 medium sized sweet potato, peeled and chopped into quarters
¼ cup brown rice
1 onion, diced
2 spring onions, diced
Handful of fresh mixed herbs
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp paprika powder
Salt & pepper to taste
1 tbsp olive oil, for frying
To make the burger:
Red onion rings
Tomato, sliced thinly
Cheddar cheese, sliced
Prepare the sweet potato rice patties:
1. Cook the brown rice according to the pack instructions.
2. Boil the chopped sweet potato on high for 15-20 min or until soft and tender.
3. Once cooked, drain and mash the potatoes and then let them cool for 10min.
4. Add the cooked rice to the mashed potatoes and mix until well combined.
5. Fold through chopped onion, peppers and herbs until well combined.
6. Add the turmeric, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper, mix well.
7. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
8. Using your hands, shape mixture into just a bit bigger than golf ball size. Flatten slightly with hands. (You should be aiming to fit the burger into an avo)
9. Place patties into the pan and fry for 1-2 minutes, flip over and continue to cook until golden & crispy.
1. Slice the avocados in half, length-wise. Remove the seed. Peel away the skin from the avocado halves.
2. Place a lettuce leaf onto each of the bottom avo halves, topped with a slice of tomato, a sweet potato rice patty, a slice of cheese & relish. Place the second avocado half over the top.
3. Sprinkle sesame over the top of each avocado. Gently press the seeds into the surface of the avocado flesh so that they remain in place.
4. Serve & ENJOY!