Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Hands-off time: 30 minutes
1 small onion, chopped
500g lean beef mince
1½ tsps mild curry powder
2 tbsp fruit chutney, plus extra for serving
½ tsp each salt and pepper, to season
1 cup frozen peas
4 medium eggs
⅓ cup Nestlé Cremora
12 slices white bread, crusts removed
2 dried bay leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and lightly grease a medium 20cm square baking dish.
2. Heat a medium-sized non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and mince and cook for 5-6 minutes or until the mince has browned completely.
3. Add the mild curry powder, fruit chutney, salt and pepper and peas. Sauté for a further 4-5 minutes. *Chef’s Tip: Sultanas can be added to the mince if preferred.
4. In a medium-sized jug, dissolve the Nestlé Cremora powder into 1 cup of warm water. Whisk in the eggs and set the custard base aside until needed. *Chef’s Tip: Using Cremora makes the custard extra creamy.
5. Pour ⅓rd of the mince mixture into the base of the dish. Arrange 6 slices of bread over the mince, pushing down slightly to flatten. Repeat the layering with the remaining mince and bread, making sure to end with the layer of mince. *Chef’s Tip: The crusts can be kept on the bread if preferred.
6. Pour the custard base evenly over the top of the final mince layer and arrange the bay leaves in the centre of the baking dish.
7. Bake the Bobotie lasagne for 30-35 minutes until the custard has set and a golden brown and crispy top has formed.
8. Slice into even-sized squares. Serve immediately with fresh coriander and chutney, alongside a fresh green salad and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍
Lekker Local Bobotie Bread Lasagne