Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Hands-off time: 2 hours
1 tbsp oil
2 packs (500g each) SPAR Stewing Beef Bone-In
1 large onion, diced
1 pack (1kg) SPAR Freshline Tomatoes
2 tbsp crushed garlic
1 small red chilli, finely chopped
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp each salt and pepper
1 packet (50g) brown onion soup powder
1 sachet (50g) tomato paste
2 tbsp sugar
1 pack (1kg) SPAR Freshline Baby Potatoes
1. Prepare a braai for direct cooking over medium heat (180-230°C). Warm a medium-sized potjie pot over the fire and add the oil. *Chef’s Tip: The potjie can be cooked in a large pot on the stove if preferred!
2. Add the SPAR Stewing Beef Bone-In to the pot and brown for 5-7 minutes, stirring regularly.
3. Add the diced onions and fry for 2-3 minutes until soft and caramelised.
4. Dice the SPAR Freshline Tomatoes and add it to the pot with the garlic, chilli, cinnamon stick, salt and pepper. Fry for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the brown onion soup powder, tomato paste and sugar. *Chef’s Tip: Replace with ½ tsp chilli powder, if preferred!
5. Add 2 cups of water and stir. Cover the potjie pot with the lid and simmer for 1½ hours, stirring regularly.
6. Add the SPAR Freshline Baby Potatoes and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are soft and tender and the sauce is thick. Chef’s Tip: Add more water if the sauce thickens too quickly!
7. Garnish the tomato bredie potjie with chopped parsley. Serve with some rice and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍
Lekker Local Tomato Bredie Potjie