1/3 cup IMBO Barley
½ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
½ cup spinach, wilted and roughly chopped
½ cup bread crumbs
1 tsp crushed ginger
3 garlic cloves, crushed
½ tsp red chilli flakes
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
½ tsp mixed dry herbs
2 tbsp corn flour
2 tbsp oil for frying
Salt to taste
1. In a large pot, add barley. Season with a pinch of salt. Add 2 ½ cups of water and cook on a medium heat for about 25 minutes or until the barley is cooked.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add cooked barley, cheese, bread crumbs, ginger, garlic, red chilli flakes, dried herbs & ground black pepper. Using a spoon gently mix to combine everything.
3. Add the chopped spinach (ensure all the water has been squeezed out) and mix again. Season with salt.
4. Add corn flour and mix everything together gently.
5. Form a round flat burger pattie and set aside.
6. In a pan heat the oil frying.
7. When the oil is hot, reduce the heat to medium and place burgers in the hot oil and fry on both sides until they are crispy and golden.
8. Serve the burger patties in a lettuce bun, topped with tomato, onion & avo slices and your favourite relish. ENJOY!