Light & Crispy Spiral Pie
Serves: 6 – 8
½ cup Spekko brown rice
½ cup olive oil (enough to grease the pan and phyllo)
½ large onion, finely chopped
1 punnet of sliced mushrooms, finely chopped
250g spinach, washed, ribbed and finely chopped
½ cup sundried tomatoes, finely chopped
2 cloves of fresh garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
1 large egg, beaten
2 rounds of feta, drained and crumbled
Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
9 – 12 sheets of phyllo pastry
Sesame seeds, black and white mixed (optional garnish)
Tzatziki (for serving)
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180C°.
2. Bring 1 cup of salted water to a boil in a medium sized pot. Add the rice, cover & reduce the heat. Allow to simmer for 35-40 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the rice to sit covered for a further 10 – 15 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and allow to cool.
3. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onions and the mushrooms, stirring occasionally until the they have softened and browned slightly, about 8 minutes.
4. Place into a large bowl and set aside
5. Wipe the pan down, lower the heat and add the spinach. Add a splash of hot water to avoid the spinach from burning. Cook until soft, drain (if necessary), then add to the bowl with the onion and mushrooms.
6. Add the sundried tomatoes, garlic, lemon zest, the egg, feta and rice and mix everything together.
7. Layer 3 sheets of phyllo pastry on top of each other, brushing between each layer with olive oil.
8. Spread a 2cm thick line of the filling lengthways on the pastry and roll it gently to form a long roll.
9. Add the 1st phyllo roll into the outer edge of a spring form tin.
10. Continue the same process until you complete the spiral shape in the centre. (PLEASE NOTE: Every time you add a new phyllo roll, make sure to secure it's end under the previous phyllo roll – to prevent the filling from spilling out.)
11. Brush the completed spiral pie with some more olive oil and prick the pie a few times with a toothpick to ensure that the steam can escape in the baking process.
12. Top with sesame seeds and bake for 35-45 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
13. Serve with a generous spoonful of tzatziki and ENJOY!