Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Hands-off time: 30 minutes
1 tin Lucky Star Pilchards in Sweet Chilli Sauce
⅓ cup breadcrumbs
½ tsp chopped chives
½ tsp each salt and pepper
¼ cup grated cheddar cheese
3 tbsp tangy mayonnaise
4 hamburger buns
3 large lettuce leaves, chopped
½ small red onion, sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan setting, and line a baking tray with baking paper, set aside for later.
2. Remove the whole fish portions from the Lucky Star Pilchards in Sweet Chilli Sauce tin and place them into a medium-sized bowl. Set the sweet chili sauce aside for later. *Chef’s tip: Pilchards can be deboned if preferred.
3. Using a fork, shred the pilchards. Add the breadcrumbs, chives and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper and mix until a firm consistency is formed.
4. Scoop 3 tablespoons of the shredded pilchard mixture between your hands and form a ball.
5. Shape the mixture into a burger patty.
6. Arrange the patties onto the prepared baking tray.
7. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the pilchard patties are golden brown and firm on the outside. Sprinkle the grated cheese onto the hot pilchard patties and set aside to assemble the burgers.
8. In a bowl mix the remaining sweet chilli sauce from the tins with the tangy mayonnaise until smooth. *Chef’s Tip: Use the leftover prepared sauce as a salad dressing or as a pasta thickener.
9. Spread 1 tablespoon of the sweet chilli mayonnaise onto each of the bread rolls. Start assembling the rolls with chopped lettuce, a cheesy pilchard patty, another drizzle of sauce and slices of red onion. Repeat with the remaining 3 buns.*Chef’s Tip: Toast your chosen bread rolls before assembling to keep the bread fresh for longer.
10. Serve and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍
Lunchbox Treat with a Lucky Twist