Mac & Mince Lasagne
For the Mince:
2 onions, finely chopped
750g beef mince
1 tbsp chutney
Salt and pepper, to taste
½-1 cup beef stock
2 tablespoons tomato paste
Olive oil to fry the meat and onions
For the Bechamel Sauce:
½ cup all-purpose flour
4 cups milk
3 large eggs
½ teaspoon salt
For the Pasta:
500g Fatti’s and Moni’s Bellissimo Ridged Macaroni
3 eggs, beaten
For the Topping:
1-2 cups mozzarella/white cheddar cheese, grated
Fresh basil leaves
1. Add a generous amount of olive oil to a large pan. Add the onions and sauté until softened and golden.
2. Next add the mince to the pan, and cook until starting to brown, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it fries. Stir in the chutney, salt and pepper. Stir in the stock and tomato paste, and simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside.
3. For the bechamel sauce, heat the butter in a pot over a medium heat. As soon as it melts, add the flour. Stir the butter and flour together, running the spoon around the sides of the pan to catch any stray flour. Gradually add warmed milk, whisking continuously. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes, until smooth and thick.
4. Remove from heat and add salt.
5. When the sauce is lukewarm, whisk in the eggs. Set aside.
6. For the pasta, bring a pot of water to the boil and cook according to pack instructions.
7. Drain and rinse with cold water. Once the pasta has cooled down, mix with salt and eggs.
8. Pour half the pasta into the base of a greased baking dish. Top with a generous mince layer. Smooth out with a wooden spoon to fully cover the pasta. Top with another layer of pasta and a generous layer of bechamel. Smooth out the bechamel and top with cheese.
9. Bake at 180°C for +/- 40 minutes or there about and golden! Allow to set at room temperature for 20 minutes once out the oven.
10. Garnish with fresh basil leaves, slice, serve and ENJOY!!