3 large eggs
¾ cup castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
100g margarine, melted (can be substituted with butter)
¾ cup cake flour
½ cup NESTLÉ Cremora Original
Icing sugar, for dusting
Fresh strawberries, fanned
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C and line a 20cmx20cm baking tin with baking paper, slightly hanging over the sides.
2. Separate the egg yolks from the whites. *Chef’s Tip: Use an empty water bottle. Squeeze the open bottle slightly and place over the yolk. When you release your grip, the yolk is sucked inside, separating itself from the white.
3. Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form and set aside.
4. Add the egg yolks and sugar in another bowl and beat until the mixture turns pale yellow and doubles in volume, around 1 minute.
5. Add the vanilla essence and melted margarine to the yolks and beat until incorporated. *Chef’s Tip: Butter can be substituted for margarine.
6. Sift in the flour and beat until just combined.
7. Combine the NESTLÉ Cremora Original with 2 cups of lukewarm water and whisk to combine. Pour the Cremora liquid slowly into the batter while beating until combined, 30 seconds.
8. Carefully fold the beaten egg whites into the batter, ⅓rd at a time. *Chef’s Tip: Use a spatula and don’t overmix as you don’t want to knock the air out of the egg whites.
9. Pour the batter into the prepared tin. The batter should be very thin. Bake for about 45- 50 minutes until golden brown on top and the cake does not jiggle when the tin is gently shaken.
10. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack, using the baking paper to assist.
11. When completely cooled, slice into 28 portions.
12. Dust with icing sugar, serve with fresh strawberries and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍