+/- 1 cup IMBO kidney beans
+/- 1 cup IMBO small white beans
1 cup grated baby marrow
¼ cup spring onion
2 tbsp fresh coriander
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp crushed garlic
¼ cup breadcrumbs
Salt & pepper to taste
Flour for coating
2 tbsp olive oil for frying
Hamburger seeded rolls
Sweet chilli sauce (optional)
1. Pour roughly 1 cup kidney beans & 1 cup small white beans into a bowl
and soak them overnight.
2. Drain the beans and cook them in 3 cups cold water, bring to the boil and
cook until soft. Drain the beans once cooked.
3. Place the beans in a large mixing bowl and mash them.
4. Add 1 cup grated baby marrow, ½ cup spring onion, 2 tbsp fresh coriander, 1 tbsp cumin, 1 tbsp paprika, lemon zest, ¼ cup breadcrumbs, salt, pepper & 1 egg to the mashed beans.
5. Stir the mixture until combined.
6. Form patties with the mixture and coat with a dusting of flour.
7. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a pan and fry the patties until golden brown and crispy.
8. Assemble the seeded roll together with the patties, lettuce, avo, cheese, slaw and sweet chilli sauce. Enjoy!
LENTIL & SPLIT PEA SHEPHERD'S PIE
4 sweet potatoes
Salt & pepper
2 cups IMBO Lentils
2 cups IMBO Split Peas
1 tbsp milk
½ cup carrots
½ cup celery
½ cup diced onion
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 tbsp chopped basil
½ cup chopped spinach
2 tbsp soya sauce
1. Using a potato peeler, peel 4 sweet potatoes. Place the potato skins on a lined baking tray and season with salt, pepper fresh thyme and olive oil. Toss to coat the skins and bake at 180°C for 15 minutes.
2. Slice the sweet potatoes and boil in water for 15 - 20 minutes.
3. Rinse 2 cups lentils and 2 cups split peas together in a colander until the water runs clear. Once rinsed simmer for 30 minutes in boiling water. Drain and set aside.
4. Mash the cooked sweet potatoes with 1 tbsp of milk and salt until smooth.
5. In a large pan, soften 1 cup carrots, 1 cup celery, 1 cup onion with 2 tbsp water. Add the cooked grains and mix to combine.
6. Add 2 cans diced tomatoes together with 1 tbsp basil, chopped spinach and soya sauce.
7. Simmer for 10 - 15 minutes.
8. Place the mixture into small casserole dishes, topped with an even layer of sweet potato.
9. Bake at 180°C for 20 minutes.
10. Serve with fresh basil and crunchy potato skins.
STUFFED SWEET POTATOES
4 sweet potatoes
1 cup IMBO brown lentils
150g feta cheese
2 tbsp coriander
1 tbsp chilli flakes
Pumpkin seeds (optional)
1. Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
2. Poke holes in the sweet potatoes and bake at 180°C for 45 – 60 minutes.
3. Add 1 cup IMBO brown lentils to 2 cups water, simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Strain and allow to cool.
5. Slice the sweet potatoes in half.
6. Scoop out the potato center.
7. Mix the sweet potato center together with the cooked lentils and fill the sweet potato halves with the mixture.
8. Sprinkle with feta and drizzle with olive oil before baking for 10 minutes at 180°C.
9. In a separate bowl mix one avocado with salt, pepper and lime juice until smooth.
10. Once cooled, top with avocado mixture, chilli flakes, sprouts, seeds and coriander for the garnish.
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍