Mexican-Style Snacks 3 Ways
Crispy Tortilla Cups
For the Mexican Tortilla Cups:
24 small tortilla wraps
1 can KOO Black Beans in flavoured Brine, drained
1 can KOO Whole kernel corn in Brine, drained
2 large tomatoes
½ red onion
¼ cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1/3 cup sour cream
Fresh Avocado, cubed
1. Preheat the oven to 180 and grease two 12-hole muffin trays.
2. Add each of the tortillas into the cups, gently pleating the edges of the tortillas so that they fit snugly inside each cup. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the tortilla cups have hardened slightly on all sides.
3. In a large bowl, combine the drained KOO black beans and KOO corn kernels.
4. Finely chop the tomatoes and red onion and add this to the beans.
5. Add half the chopped coriander & seasoning and mix well.
6. Spoon this mixture into the tortilla cups in the muffin tin.
7. Sprinkle each cup with cheese and bake until the cheese has melted, and the cups are warmed through, 5-6 minutes.
8. Remove these from the muffin tray and garnish each cup with a dollop of sour cream, fresh avocado and the rest of the chopped coriander.
9. Serve the tortilla cups with a squeeze of lime, while still warm and ENJOY!!
Mince & Black Bean Pies
For the Mexican Pies
4 sheets store bought puff pastry, thawed (keep in fridge until needed)
½ onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
½ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
200g beef mince
1 can KOO Black Beans in Mexican Style Sauce with Red Bell Peppers
½ can KOO Whole Kernel Corn in Brine, drained
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup cheese, grated
1 egg, beaten
Fresh coriander leaves
Creamy sour cream dip
1. Preheat the oven to 180 and line a tray with baking paper.
2. Fry the onions gently, 5-10 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic and chilli flakes and stir for 1 minute
3. Add the mince and fry until browned, 5 minutes.
4. Add the KOO black beans in Mexican style sauce with red bell peppers and the corn and season to taste.
5. Stir through the fresh coriander and set aside to cool slightly.
6. On a floured surface, lay out the puff pastry sheets. It is easiest to work with cold pastry.
7. Roll until 0,5mm thick and use the empty KOO can to press out 48 circles.
8. Spoon the bean filling onto one half of each pastry circle, leaving a rim of ½ cm. Add a small pile of grated cheese on top of the mince
9. Wet the edge of the pastry using your finger then fold the other half of pastry over to form a half moon. Use a fork to press down and seal the pies. *Chef’s tip: these can be baked immediately or frozen for up to 2 months.
10. Place the pies on the prepared baking tray, brush with egg and bake for 15 – 20 minutes until golden and crispy.
11. Serve the warm pies on a platter with a creamy dip. Garnish with a handful of fresh coriander leaves and ENJOY!!
Protein-Packed No-Bake Brownie Balls
For the Bean Balls
1 can KOO Black Beans, drained and rinsed
150g pitted dates (baking dates or fresh)
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp cocoa powder
½ cup desiccated coconut
½ cup chopped almonds
Coating the balls:
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 tsp coconut oil
¼ cup white chocolate chips
¼ cup milk chocolate chips
For the Brownie Balls
1. Rinse & drain the KOO black beans then pat them dry.
2. In a blender or food processor add the black beans along with the dates, coconut oil & cocoa powder. Blend until a smooth paste is formed.
3. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Add the coconut and nuts and fold together gently.
4. Use a spoon to measure out 15-20 equal portions and roll them into balls. Set in the fridge.
Coating the balls
1. Melt the dark chocolate chips along with the coconut oil in 15 second intervals in the microwave.
2. Dip the balls into the melted dark chocolate and lay on a tray lined with baking paper to set.
3. Melt the white and milk chocolate chips in separate bowls.
4. Drizzle the balls with either white or milk chocolate. Allow to set in the fridge.
5. Serve these delicious black bean balls after dinner or store in the fridge to enjoy as an energy snack during the day!