Microwave Malva Pudding
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Hands-off time: 15 minutes
¼ cup (60g) butter, melted
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 tbsp Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam
1½ cups milk
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 large egg
1 cup cake flour
2 tsp Royal Baking Powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Fresh Mint leaves
*Microwave cooking times may vary due to wattage; use the timings below as a guide.
1. Lightly grease a round microwave-safe baking dish, 26cm.
2. Add the melted butter, ½ cup of sugar, Rhodes Quality Apricot Jam, 1 cup of milk, vinegar and egg to the dish. Use a whisk to beat the ingredients until well combined. *Chef’s Tip: Any type of vinegar can be used.
3. Sieve the cake flour, Royal Baking Powder and bicarbonate of soda over the wet ingredients. Fold through the dry ingredients until a smooth pudding batter has formed.
4. Microwave on high heat for 8 minutes or until the pudding has risen and baked through. *Chef’s Tip: We used a 1000 Watt microwave in our test.
5. In the meantime, to make the syrup, add the remaining ½ cup of brown sugar and the leftover ½ cup of milk to a microwave-safe jug. *Chef’s Tip: For extra flavour, add 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence to the syrup mixture before heating.
6. Remove the cooked malva pudding from the microwave and poke holes over the surface before setting it aside in a warm place. Immediately heat the syrup mixture for about 2 minutes or until the sugar has completely dissolved. Stir halfway through to check.
7. Pour the hot saucy syrup over the hot malva pudding and allow it to soak up the sauce for 5-8 minutes or until ready to serve.
8. When ready to serve, reheat the malva pudding for 2-3 minutes in the microwave. Serve a generous portion of pudding with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a mint leaf and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍