Cheesy Meatball Mieliebrood Cups
For the frikkadels:
1 slice bread, soaked in milk for 10 minutes
250g beef mince
2 tsp KNORROX Barbeque Spice
12 cubes mozzarella cheese (1cm x 1cm x 1cm)
For the mieliebrood:
½ cup self-raising flour
1 tbsp KNORROX All-in-One Spice
½ cup yoghurt
2 tbsp butter, melted
½ tin (200g) cream style sweetcorn
½ cup maize meal
½ can (200g) braai relish (smoor)
½ cup grated cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a 12-hole muffin tin.
2. Prepare the frikkadels by combining the beef mince with the KNORROX Barbeque Spice. Drain the slice of bread and add it to the mince. Combine the mixture divide the mince into 12 pieces (about 25g each) and roll each piece around a cube of mozzarella cheese into a smooth ball. *Chef’s tip: Wet your hands to prevent the mixture from sticking to your hands
3. Heat about 3 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat then place the frikkadels in the pan. Cook for 5 minutes until nicely browned on all sides, then remove from the heat.
4. To prepare the mieliebrood batter, combine the self-raising flour, maize meal and KNORROX All-in-One Spice in a large mixing bowl.
5. Whisk together the yoghurt, eggs and melted butter. Add the cream style sweetcorn and mix well. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined.
6. Spoon the batter into the muffin tin, filling the holes halfway. Press a frikkadel into the mieliebrood mixture in each muffin hole, slightly but not all the way to the bottom. Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the mieliebrood comes out clean and the frikkadel is cooked through.
7. Turn on the grill element of the oven. Add a tablespoon of tomato smoor over each frikkadel and sprinkle over the grated cheese. Place the tray back under the preheated grill for about 3-5 minutes until the cheese melts and starts bubbling.
8. Allow for the mieliebrood cups to cool for about 5 minutes, then carefully transfer them to a serving tray.
9. Serve 2 cups, garnished with chopped chives, with a side salad and ENJOY!