Paella on the Braai
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp chicken spice
Salt and pepper to taste
600g Skinless Free range Chicken Breast Fillets, cubed
2 cups uncooked rice
2 leeks, sliced
1 green pepper, cubed
1 red pepper, cubed
1 yellow pepper, cubed
1 tin whole tomatoes
2 tsp tomato paste
½ tsp sugar
Pinch of cayenne pepper
½ tsp turmeric
4 cups organic chicken stock
1 cup dry white wine (optional)
500g Prawns (heads and shells intact)
500g Mussels in the shell
½ cup black olives
½ cup parsley, chopped
Yield: Serves 6 people
1. Coat chicken in chicken spice, salt & pepper.
2. Heat the olive oil & butter in a large deep pan or ‘skottel’. Brown the chicken, this should take 8 – 10 minutes.
3. Remove the chicken and set aside.
4. Add rice & fry until golden.
5. Add leeks & peppers & fry until soft.
6. Add the tin of tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar & cayenne pepper. Fry for 3 minutes.
7. Add the chicken stock, wine and chicken. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
8. Add the prawns and mussels. Cover and cook for another 10-15 minutes, then remove from the braai.
9. Add olives (optional) and mix the paella.
10. Garnish with fresh lemon wedges & parsley.
11. Serve with an ice cold glass of white wine and ENJOY!
** This dish can be made in a large pan on the stove as well.