Pancake Br(egg)fast Bake
For the pancakes:
½ Sasko pancake mix (250g)
1 extra-large egg
25ml vegetable oil
20ml brown vinegar
Yield: 8 - 10 pancakes
For the Br(egg)fast Bake
1 ½ tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 small clove garlic, crushed
250g sliced button mushrooms
½ tsp dried thyme
½ tsp dried rosemary
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Juice of half a lemon
2 handfuls of baby spinach
1/3 to ½ cup cream
1 cup cooked diced bacon (optional)
Salt and pepper
1 ½ cups grated mozzarella cheese
1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
Yield: 4-5 Cheesy Br(egg)fast rolls
1. Prepare the pancake mix according to the pack instructions.
2. Heat oil in a pan and fry the pancakes. Set the pancakes aside to cool.
3. Make the filling: Heat oil in a large pan over high heat, then add in mushrooms and cook until reduced in size, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add in onion, garlic, thyme, rosemary and cream and stir to combine, about 30 seconds. Allow the sauce to thicken and reduce.
4. Season with salt and pepper, and squeeze in lemon juice. Add spinach and let wilt. Stir to mix, then remove from heat.
5. Preheat the oven to 220°C. Line a small square baking dish with baking paper.
6. On a clean work surface, overlay two pancakes by 7 cm, spoon 2 large tablespoons of the creamy filling mix in a row in the centre of the pancakes. Sprinkle some crispy bacon pieces over the top of the filling (optional.)
7. Beat an egg in a small bowl, then brush all corners of the pancakes with the egg wash.
8. Gently roll the pancakes into a log, then roll the log into a coil shape.
9. Repeat with the remaining pancakes and filling.
10. Place the pancake rolls in a lined baking dish and brush with the remaining egg wash.
11. Sprinkle grated cheese over the pancake coils.
12. Gently make a divot in the centre of each pancake roll with the back of a spoon.
13. Crack an egg into each divot. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the egg whites are cooked but the
yolks are still soft.
14. The pancakes should be crispy and golden on the outside.
15. Sprinkle with chopped parsley to garnish and ENJOY!