Pilchard Curry Buns
For the bread dough:
600 g store bought dough
For the curry:
1 tbsp oil, of choice
1 onion, chopped
3 fresh tomatoes, chopped
2 tsp chutney
2 tsp mild curry powder
1 tin Lucky Star Pilchards in Hot Chilli Sauce
1 cup frozen peas
Salt & Pepper, to taste
6 equal sized dough balls
½ cup butter, melted
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a giant muffin tin (6 holes).
2. Divide the dough into 6 equal sized balls.
For the curry:
1. In a medium saucepan, heat the oil. Sauté the onions until translucent, 5-6 minutes.
2. Add the chopped tomatoes along with the chutney & curry powder.
3. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add the Lucky Star Pilchards in Hot Chilli Sauce and break up gently with a wooden spoon and simmer for another 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened and most of the moisture has cooked away. (Note: The bones in the pilchards are very soft but if you prefer, they can be removed before cooking)
5. Remove from the heat and stir through the frozen peas, season to taste and allow to cool completely.
1. Flatten each ball out in the palm of your hand and generously fill the centre of each ball with the curry mixture. Make sure not to add too much liquid. Close the seams of each dough ball, sealing with water to create sticky edges if needed and pop into the muffin tins, seam down.
3. Set aside in a warm place to rise for at least 30minutes
4. Combine the melted butter with the garlic and gently brush over the dough balls.
5. Bake for 30 minutes until golden. Serve warm and ENJOY!