Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Hands-off time: 15 minutes
1 sheet (400g each) store-bought puff pastry, thawed
2 tbsp vegetable oil
½ small onion, finely chopped
½ tsp each salt and pepper (optional)
4 tbsp NESTLÉ Cremora Original
8 cups spinach, chopped
Serving suggestion: Green salad
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
For the pastry:
2. Roll out the puff pastry sheet on a floured surface to 3cm thickness. Using a 5cm round cookie cutter, cut out 32 circles of pastry. *Chef’s tip: A glass with wide rim can be used instead.
3. Using a 2cm cookie cutter, cut a hole into the centre of 16 of the 5cm pastry rounds, creating a frame with no centre. Gently place one of the pastry frames onto the full circle creating a pastry parcel with a window. Push down slightly to stick them together. Do this until you have 16 stacked pastry parcels.
4. Combine and re-roll the pastry circles removed from the frames. Roll to a 2-3cm thickness.
5. Using a small star-shaped template or cookie cutter, cut as many stars as possible from the leftover pastry to make ornament decorations for the serving platter. *Chef’s Tip: You should have about 5-6 stars.
6. Place the pastry parcels and ornaments onto the prepared baking tray and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
For the creamed spinach filling:
7. In a medium-sized pan, heat the oil and add the chopped onions, salt and pepper if using and sauté until the onions are translucent. *Chef’s Tip: Add 1 teaspoon of chilli powder and chopped red pepper to make a spicy and veggie-packed version.
8. Add the NESTLÉ Cremora Original powder and ½ cup of hot water. Stir until the cremora has dissolved and the liquid has thickened slightly.
9. Add the chopped spinach and stir until wilted, about 3-4 minutes. Once wilted remove the pot from the heat and set aside to cool.
10. Once the pastry is cooked, use a teaspoon to gently push the centre of the pastry rounds down, creating a well.
11. Spoon 1 tablespoon of creamed spinach into the centre of each pastry well and place a Christmas star on top.
12. Serve the creamy spinach pies on a large platter decorated with extra pastry ornaments, alongside a vibrant green salad and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍