Hands-on time: 40 minutes
Hands-off time: 1 hour 10 minutes
4 tbsp butter
1 punnet (250g) SPAR Freshline White Sliced Mushrooms
1 bag (250g) SPAR Freshline Chopped Spinach
1 tsp crushed garlic
6 sprigs parsley, finely chopped
½ tsp each salt and pepper, to season
12 (830g)SPAR Select Chicken Thighs
300g streaky bacon
1 tbsp SPAR Chicken Spice
1 tub (230g) plain cream cheese, room temperature
6 SPAR Freshline Potatoes, washed
6 sprigs rosemary
Serving suggestion: Green salad
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the SPAR Freshline White Sliced Mushrooms and fry for about 5-6 minutes until golden and tender.
2. Stir in the SPAR Freshline Chopped Spinach and garlic and fry for about 3-5 minutes until tender and most of the moisture from the vegetables has evaporated.
3. Add the parsley to the vegetables and season with half of the salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 190°C.
5. Place a SPAR Select Chicken Thigh between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Gently flatten the thigh with a rolling pin so that it is about ½ cm thick. Repeat with the remaining thighs.
6. Arrange the bacon strips, overlapping each other slightly, to form a sheet of bacon on a clean sheet of kitchen wrap.
7. Lie the thighs, top side down, next to each other over the bacon. Arrange them horizontally so that there are 2 rows of 6 chicken thighs each and ensure that each thigh overlaps the next neatly.
8. Using a butter knife, spread the cream cheese over the chicken. Sprinkle the SPAR Chicken Spice over the cream cheese and scatter the cooled vegetable mixture evenly on top.
9. Starting from the long side closest to you, roll the chicken up and use the plastic wrap to guide you in forming the roll-up. Place the roll seam-side down.
10. Peel and chop the SPAR Freshline Potatoes into 2cm x 2cm chunks. Add it to a baking dish. Melt the remaining butter and pour it over the potatoes. Add the rosemary leaves, salt and pepper and toss to combine.
11. Place the chicken roll amongst the potatoes. Roast for 40-50 minutes until the bacon is crisp and the chicken and potatoes are cooked through.
12. Allow the chicken roll to cool for 10 minutes before cutting into thick slices.
13. Serve a portion of potatoes topped with a slice of chicken with a green salad and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍