Makes 16 cookies
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Hands-off time: 25 minutes
2 cups (454g) butter, cubed & softened
1 cup Selati Icing Snow, sifted, plus extra for garnish
2 cups cake flour, sifted
½ cup store-bought caramel
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C and line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sifted Selati Icing Snow until it has turned a lighter shade.
3. Fold in the cake flour until a crumbly cookie dough forms. Use your hands to bring the dough together.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 3cm thick rectangle. Use a 7cm cookie cutter to cut out 32 disks. Use a smaller 2cm cookie cutter to cut a shape from the centre of 16 cookies. *Chef’s Tip: Cover the cookie dough with a layer of plastic wrap to make rolling easier.
5. Arrange the cookies on the baking trays in groups of 9. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a light golden colour is achieved; repeat with the remaining cookie dough.
6. When baked, remove the trays from the oven and allow them to cool for about 10 minutes. When cooled, lightly dust the 16 cookies with the centres removed, with icing sugar .*Chef’s Tip: Ensure the cookies have cooled before dusting, or the icing sugar will melt.
7. Spoon 1 teaspoon of caramel onto the base of the 16 cookies with the uncut centre. Top each caramel-coated cookie with an icing sugar-dusted cookie, creating 16 sandwiches. Serve the cookies on a platter, and ENJOY! *Chef’s Tip: These cookies make a perfect gift for a loved one!